ACTION ALERT - Mission Trails Regional Park Master Plan Update
Mission Trails Regional Park is updating the park's Master Plan for the first time since 1985. ACSD has been representing climbers' interests in this process since it began in 2008. A draft is out for final review before this document is approved, and we firmly believe some changes are still needed. Get your comments in BEFORE MAY 2nd. Here's how...
When big changes like this are made regarding the management of public lands, the land managers often give the public a chance to provide their input on the changes before they're made final. The goal is to produce a document that satisfies every stakeholder to the greatest degree possible. That's where your feedback comes in.
ACSD thoroughly reviewed the draft Master Plan and Natural Resource Management Plan and compiled a five-page letter with our detailed feedback on what's good about it, what we're not happy with, and how we think it should be improved before it's approved. We think we've done a good job of representing the climbing community's interests as a whole, and we hope you agree.
The Master Plan Update documents can be found here:
Here's our complete letter for you to review:
www.alliedclimbers.org/pdf/ACSD MTRP MPU and NRMP Comment Letter (22-Apr-2014).pdf
To summarize, here are our most important recommendations:
- Recognize the Santee Boulders as an "Existing" climbing area and the trails as legitimate access trails
- Complete a detailed evaluation of the Mission Gorge Quarry climbing area for potential reopening
- Remove biased/discriminatory wording focusing policing and enforcement specifically on climbers
- Supporting projects that would open of additional climbing resources within the park
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
1) WRITE YOUR OWN LETTER, including the important points ACSD has identified and email to email@example.com.
2) Sign our SUPPORT PETITION Vertical Hold Climbing Gym or Mesa Rim Climbing and Fitness Center. These petitions will get attached to the final letter we deliver to the City of San Diego on May 2nd.
3) Email firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief note SUPPORTING THE ACSD COMMENT LETTER, including it as an attachment.